Wednesday, September 3, 2008

phew, made it!

Oh what a fun trip that was. First, I got on three planes and gave up my seat for some person so I could score a free ticket, resulting in my going to Denver then Washington DC instead of Chicago to Washington DC. That part was fine. The airplane from Washington DC to London, mostly fine. I just had to race from one end of the terminal to the other, but no big. 7 sleepless hours later when I get to London Heathrow airport, the fun begins. Remember how I said I only needed to go on two trains? Well, it ended up being 6. Turns out being cheap with train tickets is not in fact the most brilliant thing to do if you don't know the area. So I go from London Heathrow to, get this, Kings Cross Station, when what I really needed was Paddington Station, but this particular line didn't stop directly there so I had to improvise. So then I wandered around asking directions from security guards to businessmen, none of whom gave me accurate directions. And no, I did NOT follow their directions wrong. When the security guard said platform one, I WENT to platform one only to find it was in fact going the wrong direction. Just an example for ya. So finally, I happened to bump into a man who had JUST COME from Paddington Station, and managed to give me some accurate directions. So at Paddington, I get my ticket to Swansea and three hours later, I arrive safely only to find it pouring outside. But that's okay. I got to see a good chunk of the city center during the taxi ride to my Bed and Breakfast, and there's some fun stuff! I would have taken pictures on the way, but with lugging three heavy bags around, not going to happen. But, I did take some pictures of my B&B and the rain!
And now, time to just crash...

2 comments:

Christine said...

It's so charming!!! I'm so sorry the train situation was crazy. Are you moving into your dorm today? Thanks for granting me custody of your LBDs. They're both gorgeous on. Ooh and I'm so pleased that I fit back into my skinny 7s. Have a jolly good time getting settled. Cheerio!

Nic said...

You're awesome for improvising your way to Wales! It's scary enough having it all planned out, I'm sure. The B&B is really cute, and I'm so glad you're safe. Hope you're having a great day on campus, if it's begun yet (I'm going to set a clock to Wales time I promise!)
I miss you so much!

Nikki