Saturday, June 6, 2009

Okay, it's about time I moved on to Salzburg

Ah... I think Salzburg was my favorite city...

We started out by taking a Sound of Music tour (yes I know it was about the cheesiest thing we could have done, but hey, it took us to a ton of really cool places!) where we hit a bunch of locations where Hollywood filmed the movie. See how much you can recognize...

This first one may be a little trickyBut how about this one?or this one? (no not the person in it. It you can't get that one I'm not sure you should be reading this blog...)try this oneThink you got them? Well here's the answers: first, the back of the Von Trapp family's home, or more specifically the lake behind the home (a different location was used for the front); second, the family's rather romantic gazebo; third, where Maria and the children did that last bit of the Do-Re-Me sequence; and lastly, the church where Maria and the Captain were married, which is actually not in Salzburg at all, but a little village outside the city.

Oooh, but that same day, we took a tour of the salt mines of which Salzburg get's it's name (Salzburg translating to 'city of salt'). Check out these, um, cool (?) suits we got to wear!And we got to slide down these cool shafts in order to get to the deeper levels! They snapped a photo of us as we went down. Mia has the original, but I conveniently snapped a picture of it before parting ways... somehow I got stuck being in front...But the next day we finally got a break from the snow and I took some time exploring the city on my own in order to hit a couple museums. I spent most of my time though, getting sidetracked by the beautiful scenery (although I did in fact eventually make it to the museum of modern art). Take a look at how gorgeus the city was!and some moreand more
And I found the graveyard where Mozart was buried. I know that sounds creepy, but trust me, the cemetery was beautiful! (a lot better than the one on Edinburgh that's for sure!)Oh, and here's Nonnburg Abbey!Okay, one last shot of the city and I'm done...Awe shoot, but I need to show you the fortress too!We all had a great time! (I think I was laughing at someone in the background in this one...)And next up, it's back to Germany for Munich!

1 comment:

Nic said...

11 days before I see you!!!!!

Nikki